"He whom we love and lose is no longer where he was before. He is now wherever we are." -St. John Chrysostorn

Monday, January 18, 2010

Donation

Jonathan was not listed as an organ donor on his driver's license. Jonathan was the most caring, loving, respectful, and compassionate person. I know deep in my heart that all he would have wanted was to leave this earth doing the same thing he did while he was here. God and I and family decided to donate his organs because we all know who Jonathan was.

Apparently, to donate all of your organs, you have to be "legally" brain dead. That means that none of your brain stem is functioning. Jonathan's was. His pupils would dilate to light which means some sort of the stem is functioning. They did a test to see if after taking him off the ventilator, he would breathe on his own. He breathed for 10 minutes- although a very, very weak breath. Based on that, Jonathan was able to donate his liver, kidneys, heart valves, corneas, and skin. We were not able to donate his heart or lungs.

I remember sitting in the hospital thinking about organ donation. It wasn't something I considered until I knew the severity of Jonathan's brain damage and spinal cord injury. I kept thinking to myself- as selfish as this sounds, I don't want them to take his heart. He needs to have his heart with him. If it had come down to it, I would have donated his heart. I never said anything, but I guess I didn't have to.  I also didn't donate bones. Somehow, that just seemed to be too much for me.

I received a letter in the mail last Friday about Jonathan's major organs and I should get a couple additional letters telling me about the recipients of the skin, heart valves, and corneas.

Jonathan's left kidney was transplanted into a 50 year old married mother of two, from Colorado. They didn't have much information on this woman, but she was extremely ill from severe hypertension. She was placed on the kidney waitlist on 7/9/2007.

Jonathan's right kidney was transplanted into a 52 year old man, who lives in a small, Northern Colorado town. He has been married for 29 years and is retired since falling ill. His hobbies listed are that he enjoys church. He has been waiting for a kidney since 9/29/2009. This man is doing very well post-operatively and was discharged from the hospital in December.

Jonathan's liver was transplanted into a 52 year old father of five, from Colorado. We do not know how long he was waiting for a liver, but his hobbies include: yard work, movies, and motorcycle riding.

I know that organ donation can be very sensitive, but knowing that Jonathan is living on in others fills me with love and peace. Baines, I love you.

2 comments:

Lindsi said...

Brie
Thank you for sharing more about "who" received Jonathan's amazing gifts. I agree that it is nice to know he is living on...
What a true honor and blessing his gift was to those people whom he helped save. I find some comfort in knowing Jonathan is still on this earth in a sense....I also find comfort in knowing his donor receipents live in Colorado...kind of makes me glad to know he is still in Colorado with you.
Love you!

Abby Killam said...

I love this post... the thought of him living on in others makes me smile. I hope they carry a part of his humor around and share it with others. He is around us everywhere...

Post a Comment