"He whom we love and lose is no longer where he was before. He is now wherever we are." -St. John Chrysostorn

Thursday, September 16, 2010

I Didn't Know Him Well...but I Knew he was a Great Man

Lary Junge passed away today. He was 52. He was a Mainframe Programmer in the IT department where I work. I wasn't sure how I would handle death so close to home, but I think I'm better prepared for it. Lary had some back problems, but I'm still not sure what happened. Something about him on the way to the hospital and collapsing in the parking lot. He worked for the company for 22 years. He knew a lot of people. It was extremely somber this afternoon. It was very hard to see the pain on so many faces, and to know that it had not really hit them yet. I know how I would have felt today if Jonathan were still here, and I recognize the change in who I am now that Jonathan is not here. I am sort of strong. After I cried, and then cried a few more times, I was able to realize that I can relate to those employees who knew Lary for those 22 years. How painful it will be to see his empty cubicle. How painful it will be when we hire for his position. When we have project meetings and he is no longer in them. The most intense pain I feel is for his wife and kids. He has a 10 year old and a 16 year old. It was his daughter's 16th birthday today. I just want to go to his family and be there for anything they need, but I know they are in shock and I know they probably don't want strangers around. I am praying for him and for his family. How absolutely awful. He was such a great man. Unbelievable.

2 comments:

Abby Killam said...

part of losing someone we love is the ability to give to others that need support in those hard times... i hope that you are able to offer some words of comfort

Lindsi B said...

Well said Abby

Post a Comment